Her research focuses on fairness, bias, and discrimination in machine learning algorithms and their trade-offs on aggregate and individual levels.
Michelle holds an MSc in Social Data Science from the Oxford Internet Institute, where she was a part of the Digital Ethics Lab. She completed her undergraduate degree at Stanford University.
Outside of Cambridge, Michelle works part-time as a Senior Manager in Risk Analytics at Deloitte UK, specialising in designing the enterprise AI ethics framework and controls library for financial services.
Michelle is an active volunteer and former UK Chapter Lead at DataKind, a pro bono data science charity.
UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE
The alan turing institute
October 2020 – December 2021
Ph.D. Enrichment Scheme, 2020/2021 cohort. Engage@Turing student representative
2014 – present
Senior Manager leading AI Ethics offerings. Currently working part-time (1 day per week) under their Flexible Working Scheme
2014 – present
Former UK Chapter Lead. Currently sitting on the Ethics Committee
Ph.D. funded through a generous donation by Aviva Plc.
BA with Research Honors
Political Science and Symbolic Systems (concentration: Decision-Making and Rationality)
The Effect of Military Intervention on Regime Type: How Methodological Differences in Case Selection and Counterfactual Calculation Drive the Results
MSc with Distinction
Social Data Science, Oxford Internet Institute. Research Assistant @ Digital Ethics Lab
Algorithmic fairness in mortgage lending: from absolute conditions to relational trade-offs
2019 – present
Computer Science and Technology
- Editorial Board Member, AI & Ethics Journal, Springer 2020-now
- Sponsorship Director, Executive Committee, OxfordHack 2018
- UK Chapter Lead, DataKind 2018-2019
- London Ambassador, Women in Data Science 2017
- Founder & Head, Stanford Wine Circle UK 2017-present
- Founding member & operating committee, Stanford Angels UK, 2018
- Completed 5 marathons (Paris 2019, Médoc 2016/2017/2018/2019)
- Rower (bow) on the women’s team @ Lady Margaret Boat Club, St. John’s College
- Sommelier with experience in leading blind tasting lectures and seminars
- Certified French Wine Scholar (FWS), Wine Scholar Guild & French Department of Agriculture
- Classical cellist, formerly in a chamber music group at Longy School of Music (MA, USA)
- Recreational skier and golfer
Java • C++ • Python • Scala • R • Apache Spark • Apache Cassandra • MS SQL • IBM Watson • Alteryx • Qlikview • Tableau
Korean, English, Spanish, French, Modern Standard Arabic, Mandarin Chinese